The Integrated Program in Biochemistry — the joint graduate program of the Department of Biochemistry and Department of Biomolecular Chemistry — is proud to announce its recent award winners. Tyler Stanage earned the Sigrid Leirmo Memorial Award in Biochemistry and Michael Kelliher and Keren Turton each received a Denton Award for Graduate Student Excellence in Teaching and Mentoring.
The Leirmo Award is named for an outstanding scientist who received her Ph.D. from the Department of Biochemistry in 1989 and was a postdoc in the Department of Bacteriology. She died unexpectedly in 1990 and her husband funds the award in her honor. She was widely known by her fellow students and colleagues as a promising research and an enthusiastic friend and mentor.
The award recognizes a student’s or postdoc’s consistent willingness to contribute to the intellectual and technical potential of his or her fellow students and colleagues through the selfless help of others. Stanage, this year’s awardee, is a member the lab of biochemistry professor Mike Cox and studies DNA damage and repair.
Kelliher, from the lab of Jill Wildonger, and Turton, from the lab of Deane Mosher, earned Denton Awards for their consistent commitment to quality, innovative classroom teaching and mentoring in a laboratory setting. The award is made possible by the Arnold E. and Catherine M. Denton Fund.
The awards were announced Friday, June 9 at the IPiB Student Faculty Liaison Committee (SFLC) Summer Reception. SFLC also announced their new officers for the next academic year. The new officers are:
- Chair: Kasia Dubiel – Keck Lab/BMC
- Vice Chair: Sam Anderson – Senes Lab/ Biochem
- Treasurer: Julie Cheung – Bednarek Lab/Biochem
- Professional Development Chairs:
- Social Chairs:
- Recruiting Chairs:
- New Student Orientation Committee Representative: Stephanie Maciuba – Martin Lab/Biochem
- Student Lunch Symposia Coordinator: Brian Carrick – Kimble Lab/Biochem
- Student Invited Speaker Coordinator: Sidhu Nimu – Butcher Lab/Biochem
- Outreach/Service Chairs:
- IPiB/Undergrad Curriculum Committee Representative: Nathan Thomas – Henzler-Wildman Lab/Biochem
To read more about the students who earned these awards, see the link below.