The Integrated Program in Biochemistry (IPiB) is pleased to welcome its newest cohort of graduate students. As all recruiting activities were held virtually due to the pandemic, incoming students and faculty alike seem particularly excited to meet one another and begin the academic year in-person.
Jess Davidson, a first-year graduate student in IPiB, worked in a research lab after finishing her undergraduate degree in 2015.
“Even as a first generation and non-traditional student who interviewed virtually, I immediately felt at home in IPiB,” said Davidson. “I am excited to rotate through some cool labs this fall and excited to spend the next few years growing as a scientist.”
“It is always great to see and welcome a new IPiB incoming class,” said IPiB Program Director Ivan Rayment. “This year the introduction to our program is still not quite “pre-pandemic,” but is getting closer. It’s wonderful to see students on campus and a return to in-person teaching and instruction.”
The seventeen students in this year’s cohort arrive at Madison with nearly 31 years of combined research experience between them. Though they hail from liberal arts and research institutions across the United States and other countries, they are quickly finding commonalities through their shared experiences in the program.
“This year’s class just seems really glad to be here, even with masks,” said Kate Ryan, Graduate Student Services Coordinator. Ryan worked with incoming students throughout the summer, preparing them for their arrival in late August. “They seem to be bonding, they’re a really nice group of people.”
This week, the students will attend the annual IPiB Retreat to learn more about the research taking place in each lab.
New GLDC Officers Announced
IPiB’s Graduate Leadership & Development Committee (GLDC) has made some changes this year. The committee will not have a Chair as the committee transitions to a horizontal organizational structure. GLDC also recently announced its newest officers. The students elected to officer positions for the 2021-22 academic year are:
- Career and Lunch Symposia Chairs: Kyle Flickinger – Cantor Lab/Biochemistry, and Gina Wade – Simcox Lab/Biochemistry
- Social Chairs: Nithesh Chandrasekharan – Coyle Lab/Biochemistry, Clara Frazier – Weeks Lab/Biochemistry
- Recruiting Chairs: Alex Duckworth – Keck Lab/BMC, Kim Huggler – Cantor Lab/Biochemistry, and Anna Zmich – Buller Lab/BMC
- New Student Orientation Committee Representative and Wellness Chair: Rachel Cueny – Keck Lab/BMC
- Student Invited Speaker Coordinator: Nina Bonde – Cox Lab and Keck Lab/Biochemistry
- Outreach/Service Chairs: Aspa Amiridis – Weeks Lab/Biochemistry, Andrea Hunger, – Cantor Lab/Biochemistry, and Lauren Mazurkiewicz – Weeks Lab/Biochemistry
- Retreat Chairs: Joshua Mitchell – Mosher Lab/BMC, Laura Muehlbauer – Coon Lab/BMC
- IPiB and Undergrad Curriculum Committees Representative: Aryel Clarke – Audhya Lab/BMC
- Operations Chair: Kim Huggler – Cantor Lab/Biochemistry
- Steering Committee Representative: Andrea Killian Wegrzynowicz – Henzler-Wildman Lab/Biochemistry
IPiB students who are interested in getting involved in GLDC should visit the GLDC webpage.